Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sweets

Everyone has their vice when it comes to food. For me, sugar addiction runs in my family. It’s a problem my mother has struggled with all of her life and it is something that plagues both my brothers and myself. In regards to my brothers though, both are very active and extremely well built. My older brother has a personal trainer and my younger brother wants to be a Navy Seal and is constantly working out so, though they love their sweets, it doesn’t quite do to them what ends up happening to me.

I have indulged in gummy worms, cake and potato bread since I was a kid. Of course, then we were generally outside all the time doing something to work it off. Now, I have to make the effort to get off my butt and get moving. While I think I have finally found a workout I enjoy with all the elements that keep me motivated I still have weight to lose and that requires dieting. Of course, no one told this to my co-workers.

Last week was a very important week for those in my line of work and as such a lot of food was brought in for us ranging from cookies and cakes to pizza and bread sticks. Sugar was running rampant last week and while I tried not to over-indulge by eating more salad and less bread I know I didn’t help my weight loss. Now, here I sit at my desk with a tray of cake no more than 20 feet away. Whenever I go in or out of the room it seduces me with it’s fragrant decadence. Sweet Satan, why do you tempt me?

Tonight will be a test of wills between me and the cake just as last night was a test of wills between me and the jelly donut that sat out all night, but I can’t deny it – the jelly donut didn’t win, but the mini-chocolate ones did. Tonight I have brought an assortment of veggies and fruit to help combat my nightly cravings. It will truly be a test of wills. Who will be victorious tonight? Any bets?

No comments:

Post a Comment