Thursday, March 22, 2012

Say No To Yoga

I've joked on and off about my disdain for yoga. I can see it a as helpful meditation tool for some or as a way to stretch out before or after a long work out for others. What I can't understand is using it as a fat burning workout. Blame my (figuratively speaking) ADHD or perhaps I have an outdated mindset on working out, but I'm pretty sure you have to be active in order to burn calories.

These last few weeks I've begun a new workout routine and my hubby is actually doing it with me. Because I don't want to fall into the trap of becoming a PR person for this particular workout I'll refer to it as "The X Factor." The X Factor workouts range in time frame from 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the workout for the day. Can you guess which one takes an hour and a half? Yup, my favorite, the yoga. Why does it take so long? Because The X Factor tries to guarantee a specific calorie burn per workout and yoga ain't gonna do it in an hour (probably not even in two hours at the high rate of burn they advertise).

Anyway, these last few weeks I've been "bulking up" a bit more than I intended so I have begun looking at the workout to make it more cardio heavy with some weight training, where as it was about 50/50 cardio to weights. With the more cardio intensive side I decided to try the full yoga workout for the first time as I had been substituting other workouts before. Well, I can tell you, it's official. I HATE yoga!

There is nothing about it that gets me excited. From the breathing, to the downward dog and from the Namaste to the Vinyasa - the art of yoga can bite me. I have little patience for a workout that is stationary, doesn't get my heart rate up and drives me nuts with the earthy musical tones in the background. When I want to work out, I want to feel the burn as the sweat drips from my pores. I want my legs moving and I want my muscles flexing. I want to feel like I'm accomplishing something. Yoga just doesn't cut it.

I will say though, with this new workout routine, while it's not as focused on fighting as is usually my preference, it definitely has me focused on taking the time to clear my head and make it a true "meditation time." This is my time to think about one thing only, the betterment of me. I try to start with a short acknowledgement of my training for An Morrigan. During water breaks, I also take a second to acknowledge her and during the workout itself I focus on my breathing, my movements, and clear my mind. It's very hard for me to be passive in anything I do to include my workout which is my meditation.

1 comment:

  1. I have always hated Yoga too but I can get credits for taking a class and I'm going to do that this summer. I'll see if can stay awake. LOL But I think that I really want to know what you've been using even if it has Yoga because I do need something that bulks me up more than I've been doing. Although I am going to do Cross-fit for awhile so we'll see how that goes too, although I think I'm done with the trying to blog it, I just haven't been good about that.

    ReplyDelete